Saturday, April 2, 2011

Light it Up Blue!

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. People and companies have been encouraged to light it up blue to spread awareness of autism. The Empire State Building changed its lights to blue for the evenings of April 1st and 2nd to spread awareness. Our family is wearing blue and thousands are doing the same. So everyone, don't forget to wear your blue today!

Speaking of autism, Cruise finally received his official diagnosis: Autistic Disorder. I got the paper in hand this past week. It's strange because most parents start out with the diagnosis and then go from there, but we've kind of gone backwards. Many parents will get their child tested without any idea about what autism entails, and so when they get that diagnosis, it's almost like a knife to the chest. It can be incredibly difficult to accept. I feel blessed that in our case, things were eased into the realization and acceptance that Cruise was in fact, autistic.

In October, there will be a Walk for Autism in Sandy, UT with Autism Speaks that I'll be participating in. If any of you would like to join me or would like to donate to Autism Speaks, just click here.

And don't forget to LIGHT IT UP BLUE!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

It feels a little backward to say that I'm glad Cruise was officially diagnosed! But I am; if only because I hope the official paper will help open doors for you that were otherwise closed.

REGS said...

I wore blue today!