Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Four Hours of Typing and This is What You Get:

It's sad how much I have to catch up on. I have a mental log of things I need to blog about and unfortunately my cerebral file cabinet is busting apart. So...here it is:

Pumpkinland
A couple weeks ago we went to Pumpkinland at the Vineyard Nursery. Pretty much we go every year since it's close to home and the least expensive Halloween activity. Anyway, the boys enjoyed the corn maze, animals, and fun things to climb on. We were sure to steer clear of the giant blow-up bounce houses that Cruise is so deathly afraid of. The boys got to pick out a little pumpkin and the rest is history.





Dave's Promotion
Also a few weeks ago, Dave was promoted to Training Manager at C&D Marketing. He now is in charge of training all the newbies and seems to be enjoying his new position (and pay raise). Even though he works more hours now, he still works less than 30 hours a week, which is pretty awesome! We love having him around so much! And I am just so proud of him for sticking it out and just being awesome. He really is incredible at what he does and it just amazes me. 

Cruise
We had Cruise's IEP meeting this month and it went very well. His teacher, speech therapist, and occupational therapist were quite impressed with the progress he's made in the past year and are excited for the new goals they've set for him. As usual, they absolutely love him and think he's the most darling boy in the world (which is absolutely true). Ever since school started this year, he has really made a huge amount of progress, and Dave and I are amazed on a daily basis by his new knowledge and skills.

One thing Cruise has learned from school is how to respond to the question, "What is your name?" We found this out one day when we took him with us to go house hunting with a real estate agent and she asked him, "What's your name?" Once she asked, I was prepared to respond for him, something I've done for the past four years. To my amazement, before I could open my mouth, Cruise responded, "MY NAME'S CRUISE!" I had to lift my jaw off the ground. I could've broke down right there and then because I never ever thought he would be able to answer a question, let alone that question. I should know by now to never underestimate his potential. At home he likes to play a game they taught him at school. He'll take a ball or a stuffed animal and say, "Catch the ____, say your name! My name's Cruise! I like to swim!" Then he throws it to me and I respond.

One day, Cruise asked me for some scissors so he could cut out pictures of books from the recent book order catalog. After cutting out a few pictures, he then asked me for paper and glue. So I got out the requested items and watched him as he carefully glued the back of the pictures and pressed them onto a blank sheet of paper. He filled the entire paper, held it up and said, "All done!" Since then, he does it quite often so I bought him his very own spiraled art book so he can keep all of his creations in a safe, orderly spot. He sure is getting good at cutting with scissors on lines! I just can't believe how big he is getting!
We started Cruise on private speech therapy this month. We noticed that the more verbal Cruise becomes, the more he babbles. We also wanted to work on him being able to tell us what he did that day. So since speech therapy is limited in public school, we added private speech once a week to give him that extra help and to also help me know how I can help him expand his vocabulary and learn more skills. So far he has really improved and only excessively babbles when upset.
On top of speech therapy, we got Cruise into Bridge's Social Group at Kids on the Move. This program runs once a week for an hour. Cruise brings a "neurotypical" friend and the teachers focus on specific aspects of social skills. Cruise has two friends who trade off every week: AJ and his sister Julia.  They attended Bridges preschool last semester with Cruise and they all were just so crazy about each other, so I was grateful they could attend Social Group with Cruise.

One major leap, which may seem not so big to everyone else, is that Cruise has finally learned to fall asleep on his own. Granted, he still must have his bedtime routine, but after lights go out and I sing 2 songs, I am able to leave him in his bed and he fall asleep without him needing me right there. It is SO NICE!

Cruise is learning self-help skills and practicing them on a daily basis. The other day he zipped up his jacket all by himself, made himself peanut butter cracker sandwiches, and is better about putting his pants back on after using the bathroom.

Yesterday we celebrated mine and my dad's birthday. Before we left the house, I asked Cruise to draw Grandpa a picture. I gave him a large piece of paper and some crayons. He drew a big circle, two little dots for eyes, a small circle in the middle of the face for the nose, and a line for a mouth. I asked him, "Who's that?" and he said, "Grandpa!" Then he drew a three-dimensional cake with lines coming out of it (candles). I was just amazed. It was the first time ever that he has drawn something specific and it actually looked like it. I was ecstatic and was a little jealous that I couldn't keep his first picture of an actual person. But my dad was really honored to get that picture.

Finally, this past week Cruise said something I've been waiting what seems like ages for: the "I love you, Mommy." It was after the bedtime routine, I kissed him goodnight and stood up to leave. His cute little voice sang out, "Good night! I love you, Mommy." He rolled over and fell asleep. I fought tears because it was just one of those moments that just lifts you up as a parent, especially a special needs parent. You know how people who go to work every day get some sort of "positive reinforcement" in the form of bonuses, promotions, etc.? Mommies don't really get that. So it's those little things like finally hearing, "I love you" that lifts you up and keeps you going. I sure love those moments. 

Jett
Jett turns 2 this next month and boy oh boy is he letting everyone know! He has developed quite the temper for a little guy, his scream could mask any firework around, and is quite easily provoked. That being said, he is also the sweetest, snuggliest, silliest little monkey-boy in the world. Jett doesn't necessarily want you to play with him, he just wants to sit and snuggle you while watching one of his favorite shows. Unfortunately, we can't just drop everything and watch an entire show, but we try to get one in there every now and then.

A couple weeks ago I took Jett to get his hair cut. His hair is so different than Cruise's. Cruise's hair is thick, wiry, curly, and dark. Jett's hair is the polar opposite: fine, straight, and very blond. The first time I tried cutting his hair, it was almost close to disastrous. You could see every little cut I had made and it ended up just not being even. So I thought I'd take him in to get a sale price haircut before the promotion ended. He was not happy. He didn't scream or cry, or even wiggle. He just sat there, with his bottom lip out and this look as if to say, "I'll sit here, but I'm not going to like it! You can't make me!" Needless to say, he sat still and I was able to observe how to go about cutting his hair.
Jett has started using the word "want". "Want dog", "want juice", "want Elmo"...you know, the basics. His receptive language is still amazing. But Dave and I have been a little worried about his expressive speech and are contemplating getting him evaluated. He has made progress, but it is very very slow and it's better to be safe than sorry. I've learned this from experience. 

Jett is finally reaching that age where he is learning how to play with others. He and Cruise, if not fighting, enjoy playing with each other. They like to chase the dog or cats around the yard, tackle each other, and play pirate or astronaut in the treehouse. It is such a relaxing thought to know that the kids are finally learning how to play with each other. Obviously I spend more time breaking up fights than actually getting anything done, but when they are nice to each other, it is such a wonderful feeling of pure joy. However, this brotherly love has also given me another little Daredevil. Jett thinks if Cruise can do it and not die, then shoot, he can do it too! Let's just say I have to keep a close eye on those two.
Finally, Jett is really into cars. Every time he sees a car that he thinks is just awesome, he has to get inside it and play with all the buttons and levers! We'll be in a parking lot and he'll make a total scene, tears and all, just because he wants to get in some random car. My parents have a new, little, red Smart Car that he has to play in every time he sees it. When playing in the yard, Jett will often ask to sit in either mine or Dave's car. He could play in it all day.

House Hunting
Most of you have probably heard that we are house hunting. We had found one that we LOVED and put an offer on, but there were 6 other offers as well. So unfortunately we didn't get it. So we are still looking. It is super frustrating and hard to drag the kids from one house to another for hours on end, but that's the only way we can go about it. I will say at this point I'm super discouraged, but we'll find a place and it'll be where we're supposed to be. I just hate the process, gosh dangit!

Cruise Goes Hiking With Dad (written by Dave)
Last Sunday, Cruise and I decided we should go for a walk in the mountains that turned into a hike to Stuart Falls. I didn't think that he would want to walk so far but we ended up all the way at the falls. He told me he wanted to go to the mountains, so I drove him up to the Stuart Falls/Timp Trailhead and we started walking. I figured we would just go a ways and then turn back but he kept on going and going. We decided to take Lucy with us, which Cruise absolutely loved as well. She stuck her head out the window of the car the whole way up the canyon. I am sure she loved to get out because she spends almost her entire life in the few 100 square feet that is the house and yard.



We started walking up the trail and I realized that Lucy was a blessing and a problem at the same time. She kept Cruise occupied because she would pull him and urge him up the trail but there were other dogs on the trail as well and she generally does not get along with other dogs. I was constantly pushing her along so she would not fight any of the dogs.


Cruise loved the mountains and the fall leaves and a good hike is something he seems to enjoy a lot as well. He gets in a lot of proprioceptive stimulation in. Lucy tried to chase squirrels every once and awhile but for the most part was very cooperative. Cruise walked all the way to the falls and enjoyed putting his feet in the water and throwing rocks into the water once we got there. About 5 mins before we reached the falls, however, he did take a tumble because he was holding the leash and lucy lunged forward before he was ready to jump down off a rock. He got a pretty good scrape on his arm. He was a tough little guy and only cried a little.
Cruise showing his battle wound for Mommy to see.

After seeing the falls and playing in the water we headed back down the mountain. I could tell the hike up had worn him out because he was walking pretty slow. I carried him about 3/4 of the way back down the mountain on my shoulders while holding back Lucy from fighting other dogs coming up.  Once we got to the car he passed out pretty quickly in the car seat on the way home.  We took lucy back to the house and then went to get some dinner at the Greers' where he still was so worn out from his hike he just wanted to lay on the couch the rest of the night.  That was a nice change of pace simply because he is usually so wired and full of energy he is practically bouncing off the walls.

While I was carrying him down the trail at one point only a few hundred yards away from the car, he told me to stop and he started going off about his toys he had brought with him. I tried to reassure him he had them in his pockets where I had put them earlier on, but he insisted I stop and put him down so he could get his toy that was in a tree.  I had no idea what he was talking about but I put him down and he ran back up the trail about 20 feet. He ran up to a tree where he found his action figure standing on a branch. I was dumbfounded and amazed. I was watching him pretty close on the way up and I do not remember him playing with that toy anywhere near that particular tree. In all honesty, I have no idea weather he set it there on the way up or if it dropped out of his pocket and someone put it there so we might see it on the way back down. I definitely did not see him drop it or see it on the way back to the car. That kid sees every little detail and noticed his little toy sitting on a branch when all I saw was more and more forest.

It was a very fun Father Son hike. I could tell he liked it as well and he even told me later that night "Thanks Daddy for going to Mountains." He was so tired on the way down the trail he even tried to lay his head on my head so he could fall asleep while I was carrying him. The trail was too rough for him to get comfortable enough to make it possible for him to fall asleep. I felt like a good Dad to be able to take him to see the falls and to carry him when he was too tired to walk. I especially felt like a good dad to hear him say thanks for taking him on our hike/walk.


My Birthday
This year I turned 26. So weird. I remember being little and thinking people in their mid-20s were SO OLD! Ha ha ha! But honestly, I feel ancient. Mostly because I don't get enough sleep, enough to eat, enough exercise, enough time to finish anything. I feel like an 80 year old woman. I keep telling myself that one day I'll be able to eat right, work out, sleep a whole 7-8 hours a night, and get projects and house work finished on a timely basis. Is this just wishful thinking?

Anyway, for my birthday, Dave made me a big chocolate cake which the boys were super psyched about as well. Then the day after, Friday, Dave took me to Rodizio Grill to stuff ourselves with steak and exotic meats like buffalo sausage and rattlesnake (totally tastes like chicken). After making ourselves sick, we roamed around the mall and then to Toys R Us to look at some toys on sale (for Christmas...remember, I ALWAYS get Christmas shopping done BEFORE Thanksgiving).
Dave frosting my birthday cake.
Cruise "helping" Dad.




That night we enjoyed a lovely meat-induced coma. It was a great birthday.

That following Sunday, my parents had a party for both my dad and I since our birthdays are so close. And I got just what I wanted: crab legs and CASH. BEST. BIRTHDAY. EVER.
Fall Festivities
One of our home-grown banana squash.
I love autumn. It is the most lovely season of the year. The colors of changing leaves, the crisp, cool jacket weather, and the smell of it all. I wish I could just pause autumn forever. The weather has been just perfect and I've enjoyed playing in the leaves with the boys, and watching them run around without a care in the world. Here are some of my favorite leaf-playing pictures:
Jett, saving the world one leaf at a time.




On Saturday evening, we decided to let the boys decorate their pumpkins. We let Jett color his pumpkin with permanent markers, which I will admit was not very well thought out. Exhibit A:
Cruise drew the face on his and then Dave carved it. Dave elaborated a bit, but Cruise was still pretty proud of his "spooky pumpkin".






Sunday evening, Dave and I got to carve our pumpkins. Dave did a creepy, artistic pumpkin, and I did Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc.



Now the part you've been waiting for...
HALLOWEEN!

Cruise got home Monday afternoon with bags of candy. Luckily, he had forgotten about most of it, so I was able to hide it. After an hour of down time while Jett was napping, it was time to take Cruise to Social Group. I dropped him off and took Jett to the nearest park to get his wiggles out. 

After picking Cruise up, we went to pick up a Jack-o-Lantern pizza from Papa Murphy's and headed home to get the oven started. Dave got home not long after us and together we had pizza and rootbeer. Cruise ate his pizza and quickly asked, "Go trick-or-treating?" So we suited the boys up and headed over to my parents' neighborhood to make the rounds. 







Like last year, we just did the condos down one street. It was just enough candy and the boys were pooped out after just the one street. So we ended at my parents' house and let the boys remove their costumes and eat a few pieces of candy before having to go home.

Cruise held it together pretty well all day. But by 7:00pm, the whole day came crashing down and Cruise exploded. He is so well behaved and I have to remind myself that when he melts down like that, it's because of his autism and SPD. The poor kid had a day unlike any other and was exhausted from all the craziness we call Halloween. But I know they both had a great time, but too much Halloween makes for two upset kiddos.  

1 comment:

REGS said...

you guys do such fun stuff! The Pumpkinland looked like fun! Glad you get to take the kids to that! YAY for Dave's promotion! And Cruise is just an angel! He is such a smarty too! It's crazy Jett is gonna bet two already! It seems like you just had him, huh? He has the most addicting smile! LOVED Dave's post about his hike with Cruise! What a great daddy! HAPPY Birthday Em! Glad you got to enjoy some Brazilian food! We miss it! Mmmmmmm.....so tasty! I love the autumn too! Autumn and Spring are my most favorite seasons! I love the pictures of the kids in the leaves. They look like they have so much fun together! Great pumpkins and I LOVE the boys Halloween costumes this year! Looking at the pics of you guys going around mom and dad's neighborhood made me sad cause I wish we could be around to do that. I miss being there around the holidays. Thanks for all the updates! They were GREAT! Love ya!