The day before school started, Cruise's school held a back-to-school night. We quickly dropped in to meet his new teacher, aides, and the speech therapist. Cruise marched right into the classroom, came up to his teacher and said, "Hey! What's your name?" "I'm Mr. Harris. What's yours?" "I'm Snake Cruise." Mr. Harris looked up at me puzzled. I told him that Cruise likes to call himself 'Snake Cruise'.
Mr. Harris: Oh, so you are Cruise. Is that C-R-U-I-S-E?
Cruise: No. It's S-N-A-K-E-C-R-U-I-S-E!
Mr. Harris (looking impressed): We've got a speller!
Cruise immediately connected with Mr. Harris and had a fun time talking with at him.
I'm pretty sure Cruise was just as excited for school to start as I was. Here he is on his very first day of 1st grade:
So far, Cruise LOVES his new school, his new teacher, and his new class. The first day of school he came home talking all about his day and all the fun things they did. He had the biggest smile on his face and was beaming with excitement. Every day after that when I ask him how his day was, he always responds: "FUN!" I am so glad he is loving school. He has adjusted to the new routine and schedule quite seamlessly and is ready to go when we wake him up at 6:30 in the morning. I, however, am still adjusting.
His teacher is absolutely incredible and although he's a seasoned teacher, he is definitely up-to-date on all the awesome programs and therapies for autism and education in general. He involves parents heavily in their children's education, which I think is awesome. He takes a lot of pictures and shares them via e-mail with the parents and updates us on how the kids are doing. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher for Cruise.
Every year Cruise has an amazing teacher. And every year when he has to move, I get so nervous because I think we've just been getting lucky and one of these years our luck is bound to run out. But I feel so blessed that Cruise has been placed with such incredible teachers who absolutely love him and love what they do. It is such a relief to know that he is spending his days with such competent and caring individuals.
Here are a few pictures his teacher sent me this week:
![]() |
| Cruise told me about this game where they throw rolled up socks at each other. He liked the fact that he could throw them at his teachers. Lol! |
Here is to another awesome year! I can't wait to see the progress and growth!





1 comment:
I'm so glad Cruise is enjoying school, and has such wonderful teachers. These are the things we pray for every day. You are such a wonderful set of parents, and because of that he will have a terrific life ahead of him! We love you all. Mom & Dad
Post a Comment