Dear Cruise,
Another year has passed and you have grown that much more amazing. You learned to read, you graduated from 1st grade, you learned about your autism and how it makes you a super hero, and you learned how to be nice to everyone, even the bullies. You are thoughtful and kind, you are curious and passionate, you are silly and happy, you are smart and inspired. I am so proud of you and all you have accomplished thus far in your life.
I look at all the extra work you have to do compared to your peers and am amazed by how hard you work. Other kids come home from school and have a snack and go out to play, but when you come home, you have your snack and not just go out to play, but have to face the difficulty of interacting appropriately, reading faces, and practicing conversational skills. Other kids go to church and go through the motions, but you go even though it's hard to wear itchy clothes, you sit even though your body needs to move (and spin, and jump, and hang upside down), you try to listen even though you can hear every little sound in the building, and you try your best to learn, even though most of what is being taught is so abstract and symbolic. But you know what? You're not other kids, you are unique and one of a kind. You are Cruise, the most incredible kid I've ever known.
You march to the beat of your own drum and you aren't afraid of being yourself. I love your self-confidence and how you beam with excitement when someone wants to see your "lab" or help you with experiments. I love the bright light that you are to so many, especially me. You teach me and forgive me every day. You make me laugh each day with the funny things you say and do. You think I'm beautiful, and that is enough for me to know that I am because you never lie. You see the good in everyone and hate to see the bad. You are best friends with your brother Jett and so sweet to Baby Miles. You are imaginative and creative. You are the amazing Dr. Cruise, greatest scientist of the world!
Cruise, this next year will be awesome. You will have new experiences, make new friends, learn new things, and grow even more! You'll probably lose more teeth and will have to make the decision as to whether or not you want to get baptized. Some things this year may be not so awesome as well; you'll face new difficulties and meet new challenges. But that's okay, because those things make you better, even though they aren't so much fun sometimes.
Cruise, I am so proud to tell people that you are my son. I am so proud to be your mom and I am so grateful you were my first little boy. And as much as I love you, I want you to know that your Heavenly Father loves you even more! And that's a lot of love! He knows you better than anyone and I'm sure is just as proud of you as I am. I love you Cruise, no matter what, I always will. Have a wonderful birthday Sweetie, and have an incredible year! You're the coolest kid ever! Don't ever change.
Love,
Mom





No comments:
Post a Comment