This past month was a tough one for this kid. He spent all of it a little sick, then sick, then really sick. But the times he was a little sick and sick, he managed to muster up the energy to play outside. Which, as we all know, is his favorite place. Lately he has loved pushing and pulling things around the neighborhood. We dug out the old grocery cart and he pushed his water baby and toys around the neighborhood.
Miles continues to learn new words, but still doesn't say 'no', which is awesome. He either shakes his head 'no' or goes, "nuh uh". He still loves balls and was excited when Daddy found a free basketball hoop on KSL classifieds, which of course means that he had to go outside even more often to shoot hoops. I actually had to buy him new shoes because he wore out his other ones.This kid, although more cautious than the other two, loves to "fly" and hang upside down. He loves to be tickled and is always up for a good snuggle.
But the month was mostly miserable. Miles started vomiting at night and we started to think maybe it was a milk allergy. We took him off of the milk and onto almond and it didn't seem to do anything. So after over a week of vomiting, we took him to see an on-call doctor who said it was "just a virus" and that we could put him back on regular milk. Well, we did that and a few days went by and he started having diarrhea as well. So we took milk away again but there was no change. So now we're going on about 2 1/2 weeks now and I decide to take him to see his doctor this time. The doctor decides to have me get a stool sample thinking maybe the good bacteria in his stomach didn't grow back after his last round of antibiotics a few months back. So I take him home for his nap and wait all day to get a stool sample and he never had diarrhea again! And he stopped puking!
I thought we were in the clear. 4 days go by and he's doing great, and then...the throw up starts again. Two days into that and I take him back to the doctor who then tells me he tested positive for strep. So we have the poor kid get a shot in his butt and that is just miserable. I take him home and after three days he hasn't improved. In fact, he gets worse. He stops producing tears when he cries, he doesn't want to eat, hardly drinks, and doesn't have many wet diapers. So day 4 Dave decides we've all had enough and takes him to the ER first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, this is the same day as my sister Abby's Baby Shower, which I am throwing later in the evening. So Dave takes Miles and I stay at home and bake all day and drive the other boys to and from school. The whole time I'm so worried about Miles and just want to be with him. Dave kept me updated on everything. They gave him an IV and got him some much needed fluids, they ran all the bloodwork and even did an ultrasound on his abdomen. Luckily everything came up clear. They released him later in the afternoon and from there, he started to improve quite a bit. I am thinking he was just so dehydrated he just couldn't get better.
Since all that, we actually put him on a coconut milk and almond milk mix which he now continues to drink. We tried to give him cow's milk again, but he actually prefers the coconut almond milk.So that was end of April, most of May. I am hoping we don't have to do that again. Luckily this kid still loves us and trusts us despite putting him through all those shots, needles, and pain. He's such a sweet boy and I am so grateful he is mine.



1 comment:
Wow, it's crazy that he's almost 2 yrs old...he's so cute. So sorry he's been so sick.
Post a Comment