Thursday, September 3, 2015

Jett's First Day of Kindergarten & Violin Lessons


Miles wanted to go to school too. Even wanted his hair done like Jett.
Jett's required homework box that he decorated  (Minecraft style of course).
Jett started Kindergarten at Eaglecrest Elementary on the 26th of August. It was an interesting morning because all the parents were supposed to stay for the first 45 minutes. Since my kids have been in school, I have only known small group sizes, so for me to walk into this room with about 25+ kindergarteners plus their parents was a little overwhelming.
This is his "how many pictures of me do you need, mom?!" face.
His teacher is Mrs. Tipton, who definitely seems to be organized and on her game (my kind of teacher!). She had a list of things she wanted us to do with our child there in the class that first morning, like show them where their cubby is, where to hang their backpack, where the bathroom is and procedures for washing hands, etc. After 45 minutes, I was no longer needed, I gave Jett a big hug and kiss and walked out. Jett was as confident and ready as ever. And I did great as well. I am not a big crier when it comes to first days. Maybe a little anxiety, but no tears. More than anything I go home, exhale a huge sigh of relief, sit on the couch for a bit and enjoy the sounds of (almost) silence.  Two down, one to go!
His first day went great and he really likes his teacher. I ask him every day if he's made any new friends, but he says "no". It can be hard going to a new school where all the kids probably know at least one other person. But he's a likable, social kid, so I'm not too worried.
He and Cruise started taking the bus this week and luckily this year it's only a 30 minute bus ride versus the hour long ride Cruise had to take last year. Jett was over-the-moon happy that he got to take the bus, and asked me beforehand, "Can I sit next to Cruise?!" I was more than willing to pick them up each day, but Jett insisted on taking the bus. So I send them with their Gameboys and a snack in their backpacks to make the time go fast.

Jett started violin lessons today! We rented a extremely loved (aka very, very used) violin that is the cutest little thing. I can't believe how small it is. His teacher is actually the mom of his little girlfriend from last year, Emery. She is super cute and nice, and I feel like she doesn't charge enough. But I'm not one to complain. Ha ha! $35/month is a steal!
Today he learned how to hold his violin and bow, the parts of his instrument, posture, and the E string. He kept complaining that his arm was getting tired. I told him that no matter what instrument you play, you have to get used to using certain muscles more than usual. But overall, he's pretty excited and shows off his violin to all of his friends who come to the house.

No comments: