Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Cruise's Baptism

On September 5th, Cruise was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Preparation was lengthy and extremely prayerful. For the past year, our FHE lessons addressed aspects of baptism and the Holy Ghost for the most part. When we asked him this summer if he wanted to be baptized, he said "yes", although you could tell he had a lot of anxiety about it. Dave and I wrote him a social story and Dave practiced with him a few times.

His Bishop interview did not go well. Dave returned slightly deflated and shook his head as he told me, "It did not go well." Cruise, when asked if he wanted to be baptized, responded "yes, but I'm scared" and "I'm really nervous". Then he started talking non-stop as he does when nervous. At one point he said to the bishop, "You have a big head! You must have a big brain! You must be really smart. How many inventions have you invented? I have a big head too! I have an autism brain!" When the bishop said, "Well, you need to have a big head to fit a lot of brains in there," Cruise became confused and said, "You can't have more than one brain! Otherwise you'd need two heads!"

Needless to say, Dave and I had to return to the Bishop's office to discuss whether or not Cruise is really ready. After our discussion, the Bishop felt better and we all came to the conclusion that Cruise was in fact ready.

The day before the baptism, my parents shopped for all the food for the brunch, and I made a whole bunch of dark chocolate cupcakes complete with green cupcake papers and cake toppers. Dave and I spent the day cleaning the house and getting things ready.
The day arrived and we all were up super early. After getting myself ready, we got the boys ready and were out of the house by 8:20am. Cruise was still very very nervous, but still wanted to get baptized. We got the Stake Center where he and Dave got their awesome white jumpsuits and we all made our way to the chapel where there was a talk and a beautiful musical number. There were six kids in the stake to be baptized, 4 of which were from our ward, so they put them in groups of 2. Cruise luckily was in the first group.
A girl went first, since Cruise requested he go last, and then it was Cruise's turn. All the littles sat in front of the font and Miles, as soon as he saw Daddy, began pointing and saying "Dada! Dada! Dada!" I sat there trying to shush him as Dave helped Cruise down the stairs into the baptismal font. Dave said that as soon it was time for them to step into the font, Cruise's anxiety was gone and he pushed Dave along. My dad and Mary's husband, Joseph, were the witnesses. Dave dunked Cruise and his big toe poked up out of the water, so they had to do it again. Cruise did awesome and had no problem getting dunked twice.
After the baptism, we moved to another room for the confirmation. Of course as soon as Daddy was out of sight, Miles completely lost it, so I didn't get to hear most of the blessing. But Cruise was so happy and calm by this time. I was so proud of him!

So many people came to support Cruise. My parents flew up from California, Abby and Casey, along with their new little baby Liev, Dave's sister Mary and her family, his brother Dan and his daughter Elizabeth, my Uncle Dodd and Aunt Annalyn, and my Uncle David and Aunt Susan and my cousin Hailey all came. It was such a great surprise to have my uncles and aunts come and join us in such a special day. We were so appreciative of everyone who could make it. After the baptism, we all went to our house and had brunch. Cruise got some nice CTR gifts from Uncle Dodd & Aunt Annalyn, he got a nice set of scriptures and carrying case from Grandma & Papa Greer, earlier in the week, he received a sweet letter from Grandma & Grandpa Ybarra all the way from Germany.

Since his baptism, I have noticed a difference in Cruise's demeanor, his intentions, and his maturity. I honestly wasn't expecting that. He talks about the influence the Spirit has on him and I love hearing about how he feels and experiences the Holy Ghost.  Every night in his prayers, he asks for forgiveness for certain things he did wrong that day, it is so sweet.

I am so proud of Cruise and am grateful for his little seed of a testimony that grows and grows every day. He is such a good example to our family.      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was such a wonderful day! So glad we were there, and so proud of Cruise (and you)

- Dad