Sunday, August 7, 2016

Today You Are 9

Dear Cruise,

I love you! Nine years ago today, I became a mother. I had no idea the ride Motherhood would take me on, but I am so grateful that you were my first baby. I'm grateful because your Autism made me look at life differently. You were always different from day one, and I wouldn't change that for anything. You are so uniquely YOU. I have had many people over the years tell me, "There is only ONE Cruise." And it's true: you are one of a kind, kiddo. You are considerate, kind and sweet. You are honest in everything you do and you try your best, even when things get hard. You are a friend to all those around you and always have insightful questions. You are curious and smart. You are creative and imaginative. You are beautiful inside and out. One of my favorite things about you, is that you are never too old to be cuddled. In fact, the older you get, the more you want me to just snuggle you. 

Cruise, you are getting older and as much as I wish time would slow down, I am one proud Mama watching you grow and mature. You are such a good boy and as much as I'd like to take the credit, it's mostly because you have always been a good boy. You have a lovely spirit, and I know that you have always been that way from the time your spirit was created by our Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother. I am so grateful that you were sent to us. I am so grateful to be your Mom. And every day that you grow and age, I am amazed by you and your goodness. You are such a wonderful example to all those around you, especially to me and your brothers as well. I am proud of the young man you are becoming.

This past year went by in a blink of an eye. I hope this one will slow down a bit. I want you to know that I love you so much; I will always love you. You, your dad and your brothers are my whole world. I know I fail regularly, whether it be falling behind on laundry or snapping at you or your brothers, but I want you to know that I am acutely aware of my shortcomings and I will continue to try harder every day to be the mom you need. I hope one day you will read this and can say that I was. 

Happy Birthday, Cruise. Thank you for being the wonderful young man that you are. And thank you for letting me be your Mommy.

Love,

Mom

No comments: