Friday, August 7, 2020

Today You Are Thirteen

 Dear Cruise,

I don't know how it happened so quickly, but you are no longer a child. Today you are a teenager. Sometimes when I look at you smiling at me, all I see is One Year you with your dimples and great big, twinkly brown eyes staring back. I can't believe how much you've grown. 

This past year has been an interesting one. You started jr. high last August not realizing how crazy things would be six months later, as we found ourselves learning from home and quarantining from the rest of the world because of COVID-19. It hasn't been the easiest living in a pandemic as a kid, but you've been patient and oh so very sweet. I have been able to count on you to be obedient and a peace-maker in our home and I am so grateful you've been that person.

You've spent a lot of time this year making funny videos on your Scratch.com account, and later sharing them on YouTube. I love your sense of humor; it brings me so much joy and helps me find laughter in a world that's increasingly sad, scary, and wicked. I hope that is something you will always share with others. Even if they don't appreciate it as much as I do. You should still share it. 

This year you also grew A TON and you are now almost taller than me, and your feet are definitely bigger. Which is fine with me because that means you'll stop stealing my sandals...maybe. Your voice is changing and Dad finally taught you how to shave. It is all so surreal to watch you grow up. 

Cruise, I can't tell you what this next year has to offer. I don't know if I'll do a good job homeschooling you. I don't know if we'll stay healthy. I don't know if the pandemic might get better, or if it will get worse. However, no matter what is going on around us, we have so much to be grateful for. No matter how bleak things may seem in the world, we have so much light and love within our own home. The Gospel of Jesus Christ strengthens each one of us, and His love brings us joy and refuge. Something I've enjoyed during this pandemic has been being able to do church at home. I love that you have a dad who is worthy to bless the sacrament, and I love that I have a son who is worthy to pass it. I am so grateful for your goodness and your desire to be righteous in all things. My prayer is that you continue to develop your testimony and to be continually striving to be a righteous man.

Cruise, I love you so much! You made me a mom 13 years ago. I had no idea what kind of kid I was getting when they placed you in my arms after you were born. I had no idea that I'd be getting a one-of-a-kind kid. But I don't think I could've imagined all the blessings I'd receive from having you as a son. You make me a better Mom and a better person.

Happy Birthday Cruise! You deserve to have an amazing day! I hope you always remember that your Mom loves you and that you are good, and kind, and so incredibly awesome.

Love,

Mom

No comments: