Saturday, June 13, 2015

Summer So Far...

So far summer hasn't been as painful as I had anticipated. Dave takes Jett out fishing as often as possible and they always come home with a ton of big fish. This last catch we had to share with the neighbors because that is a lot of fish!
The boys swim in the backyard almost every day and load up on popsicles with the neighbor kids.
And Miles gets to join in the fun with his very own warm tap-water pool. Lucky kid.
Cruise organizes the occasional lemonade stand to save money for Pokemon cards (yes, he's into that now. I had to have Dave sit me down and explain the whole Pokemon thing to me. I still struggle.).
Dave got the small motor working so we got to take the boat out this past week on Deer Creek Reservoir. It started out a little chilly, but it quickly warmed up enough for the boys to feel ok about jumping in.
There is a small island in the middle that we landed on and the boys hunted for lizards and Miles had a blast throwing rocks into the water.
 We got back on the boat and Cruise wanted to "water ski". I don't think he knows what that entails, but he sure enjoyed hanging onto a rope and being pulled by the boat. Jett thought it looked fun and joined in. Just wait until we introduce them to tubing and wakeboarding!
 The water was pretty cold, but the boys warmed up pretty quick as it got hotter.
 Miles and I chilled, snacked, and watched everyone else get wet and cold. He did, however, enjoy dunking his feet and bottom into the water. But that was the extent of him "swimming".
 Dave did a little fishing as well. He caught a nice rainbow and let the boys play with it a little bit in the cooler before we set it free. Miles cried when we made him touch it and cried when we let it go. Sometimes there is no pleasing this kid.
 It was a pretty fun outing and only slightly stressful with a fussy toddler. We got to see an airplane land on the water and then take off again, the boys took turns driving the boat, and we left before it got uncomfortably hot.
The boys also got to attend the annual Superhero Party at the Legacy Center. Jett went as Superman this year and Cruise went as his own superhero: Electro not Spiderman's nemesis. Miles spent the time as Green Lantern, trying to steal all the balloons and playing with a bouncy ball.
We've had the usual unpredictable weather. One minute it will be hot and sunny and the next it's hailing golf balls. We have plenty down time as well as fun time. Jett started a pottery class that he goes to each Monday for the month of June. Cruise will start science camp the last week in June and he is really looking forward to that. Cruise & Jett have workbooks that I have them do most days. I also have Cruise practice his writing since that's an area he struggles with. I actually got him to draw a picture and write 3 sentences all by himself (about Pokemon) with no meltdowns! Woohoo! Progress! I have a schedule on the wall each day that is more for Cruise's peace of mind more than anything. We don't always follow it, but as long as it's there, he seems to be okay. 

For me, somedays (or weeks) are more stressful than others. This week I ended up getting super sick because of the lack of sleep and all the stress I had been under getting shirts for the baseball team and getting Cruise some ADD meds (I'll post about that later). So yeah, hopefully I don't have more of those weeks this summer.

I'll end this post with these adorable pictures of Jett and his little girlfriend Camry playing on the tablet together. 

P.S. I got that little basketball hoop from a neighbor for Miles to play with. He loves basketball but I don't enjoy lifting him up to reach the hoop in 85+ degree weather. So he has his own hoop indoors.
So far so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily and Dave, you have made the perfect home for boys. This is why we moved you to Utah when we did. We wanted you (and your children) to find out what life should be like in a good neighborhood. In an environment where most people are trusted, and boys can enjoy being at home, in the yard, at the lake and become who they should. You're doing the best job I could have ever wished for.
- Dad

REGS said...

You guys always look like you're having fun and having adventures! Love it!