Wednesday, August 21, 2019

June 2019

Our summer began on June 1st with Jett's first piano recital playing Wolfgang's Theme and Ludwig's Theme. He looked so spiffy in his maroon velvet jacket and played so well! I was really proud of him and I think he was pretty proud of himself too.
 For summer this year, I tried a new chore chart and found it to be really successful. I had a pocket for each kid and I made chore cards with specific instructions on how to complete the chore (otherwise they stand there and stare at the room completely overwhelmed). As long as I remembered to put in a new chore, they were really good about waking up and doing it every day. I also had their basic morning routine on the door so they remembered to do everything before playing.
Boating season also began on the 5th and because we had so much rain this year, the lake was insanely high and very very cold, so luckily we all had wetsuits! 
We met up with Abby one day and visited the dinosaur museum at BYU with the kids, afterwards we got ice cream at The Creamery on 9th. 
After the Wilsons went home for naptime, the boys really wanted to go to the Bean Museum.
That evening, Dave and I went on a date to The Rooftop Concert series in Downtown Provo, which is a regular free concert on Center Street. We ate dinner at a Japanese restaurant right there on Center Street while we waited for the concert to start. I grabbed us some pastries from a little French bakery right there while we listened. There were a couple opening acts, Robert Loud and then Mindy Gledhill, and then The National Parks were the headliners. They were fantastic, but we had to leave in the middle of their set to relieve Dave's parents who were babysitting at our place. 
Driving home, the wind really picked up and was pushing our car. We got home and the wind was out of control! Dave and I had to drag our trashcans back to our house from down the street. Then we realized we hadn't tied down the trampoline so we bundled up, grabbed the flashlights, and ran outside into the wind to quickly tie down the tramp before the wind could take it. We ran around the yard collecting life jackets and things that had blown out of the boat as well. It was a pretty crazy wind storm.

On the 10th, the boys and I met up with my friend Carla and her 4 kids at their place to go swim. Their family moved here from Chile and few months ago and the boys are all similar ages to her kids. Miles and Pedro are both 5 and have very similar personalities, so it was pretty fun watching them play, especially when neither of them know what the other one is saying.
On the 11th, Jett and I went to Cub Scout camp in Eagle Mountain and it was probably the worst one I've ever been to. It was terribly organized and run by teenagers who had no idea what they were doing. But the only thing the boys cared about was shooting BBs and doing archery. Luckily they did both. Jett shot his arrow into the center of the target which was pretty impressive considering they gave virtually no instruction on how to shoot. 
This Summer, I had each of the boys plan and make dinner once a week (and by "make dinner" I mean help me make dinner), so I got to teach them all some skills. It definitely tried my patience, but they really enjoyed it and looked forward to being in charge of dinners. Miles learned how to peel and cut cucumbers since he LOVES them, however, he tends to eat while cooking. I once had him peel and slice a cucumber and when I came back to check on him, he had peeled and sliced, then eaten more than half of it. Cruise's big new skill was how to cut and prepare a vegetable tray. Jett learned how to make a fruit smoothie without added sugar.
 On Father's Day, June 16th, I made Dave huevos rancheros, bacon, and a smoothie for breakfast.
 The boys were really excited to give him his gifts. Jett picked out a Batman card and they all signed it.
 We gave him a new water jug for work since his was ancient and leaked like crazy.
 And we got him a trimming kit for all his trimming needs.
 We got him some chocolate. And I got him a card that said awesome things.
After church, I made him a ribeye steak and mashed potatoes dinner that of course I didn't get one picture of, but it was immensely enjoyed nonetheless. For dessert, I made cookies and then we assembled cookie ice cream sandwiches. Which of course we did get pictures of. I guess dessert is the most important to document anyway, right?
 On the 19th, we went boating...again. This time, the boys tried using the body board while being pulled and it worked out pretty great! They also got a little crazy on the hot dog.
On the 20th, I attended a fantastic class on interior decorating by my friend Jade who is a professional interior decorator. She is based out of Arizona, but came up to teach this class to her Utah followers. Jade and I went to Ecuador together in 2005 and I just love love love her!
 Then on the 21st, we went to see...TOY STORY 4!!! It was so awesome and I loved every minute of it!
 Dave worked on his kite surfing skills that day as well, but hurt his ankle a little bit.
On the 24th, we went to the Bean Museum yet again, but this time with Abby and her kids. We went to the reptile show but it was suuuuper boring and way too looooong. We ended up leaving the show early. 
 On the 25th, my friend Nikki and I attended a little class at Thanksgiving Point on how to arrange flowers. After instruction, we got to arrange our own bouquet and then take them home. It was a lot of fun to learn something new and hang out with my girlfriend.
 On the 27th, I took Cruise to his psychiatry appointment and then to lunch at Kneaders while Dave took the other two fishing. Cruise really didn't mind, and I loved just spending time and chatting with my firstborn.
 Dave, Jett and Miles fished at Deer Creek and caught this big 19 inch Walleye and brought it home for me to cook.
 On the 28th, Abby and I went to lunch in Springville and then to Home Depot to pick up supplies for Dave to make a piano board for them so they could move their piano onto a moving truck. (Oh yeah...and they sold their house. And moved to California. And left me forever. And I'm still not over it. Lol.)
 That evening, Dave and I went on a date to The Crepery and then to Comedy Sportz in Provo. The Crepery was amazeballs and I died laughing at Comedy Sportz. On our way back to the car after the show, we snapped some pictures by the NuSkin building.
 More wakeboarding...
 On the 30th, we went to Abby's for dinner and to help with some stuff for the move, and to say goodbye. The boys brought Liev and Naomi some little toys for them. It was heartbreaking to say goodbye to Abby and her family, and I cried all the way home.

...And that was June.

No comments: