I can't believe you are 12. Getting you ready for jr. high has been sort of surreal for me because it feels like I was just starting 7th grade myself. You are growing up faster than I can keep up. You're almost as tall as me; last time I checked, you're 5'2". Your feet are the same size as mine, so it's easy for you to steal my shoes and sandals, at least for a little while. I've also had to enforce regular deodorant application, which you think is hilarious, but smelling like an onion farm is nothing to joke about. I hear about your recent crushes and watch as you try to maintain conversations with said crushes. It's scary but also really exciting to watch you be more independent. I want to protect you from heartbreak, disappointment, and failure, but unfortunately you'll have to experience all of those if you want to grow. I'll always be here though, to see you through all of life's ups and downs.
Cruise, you'll always be my little guy, no matter how big you get. And I love that every now and then, you come and ask if you can snuggle with me. I love that you love me no matter how big you get, and that you actually like hanging out with your ol' mom. You're pretty fun to hang out with yourself. I think one of my favorite things about you is how funny you are; you really do make me LOL. I love how you want to learn and know so much and how curious you are about everything. I love how talented you are and how you have big dreams. I love how confident you are in yourself and how much that shows in everything you do. I really do love being your mom.
I hope this year is a positive one for you. I hope you find joy in your studies, in your interactions, and in your personal and spiritual growth. I pray that you continue to stand up for what is right and that you keep making good decisions. Knowing you, I can confidently say that you're gonna be great this year.
Cruise, dude, I just love you so much. You are the kid that made me a mom, and I know that you were supposed to be my son. I am so incredibly grateful for the blessing of being your mom. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and an amazing year.
Love,
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment