So, here's the deal: Earlier this year I asked Cruise if he wanted to play baseball again this summer. Last year was a little rough, but I knew he still liked baseball. He told me multiple times that he in fact did not want to play baseball this year. Jett, however, was adamant about playing city t-ball, so I signed him up. His games started at the end of May, and unfortunately he doesn't like it that much, but he tries, and that's all that matters.
In early May, Cruise decides he does want to play baseball. The only problem is, registration is now closed. He was pretty upset to hear that he wouldn't be playing baseball this year. But, if you know me, there is always something that can be done. So I asked around to some of my friends to ask if anyone would be interested in participating in a special needs baseball team. I couldn't believe the response I got! We got a total of 24 kids signed up. These include those with special needs, their siblings, and a couple other kids who are not special needs (I have Jett playing as well and he loves it far more than his city team).
From there, I looked into getting shirts and found a company in Salt Lake that does them for $7. So I ordered them (and I really hope they are done when they said they would be done...hopefully this Wednesday) and got the money from all the players. Then I looked at equipment. Luckily I had bats, but that was about it. I ordered a dozen baseballs and was lucky enough to find someone in my ward getting rid of their baseball tee. I also was able to book Cruise's teacher, Mr. Harris, to take their team pictures in July, so that will be awesome!
Then I had to figure out a schedule and location. I have families coming from Saratoga Springs, East Lehi, and even Cedar Hills. And since I am in the central spot, I picked our neighborhood elementary school: North Point. Which is great news for me because it's a block away! Finally! Something I don't have to drive far for! I asked all the parents as to what times would work best for them and I got some saying weekends and others weekdays. So I decided we'd do games on Wednesdays and Saturdays to accommodate everyone. And since no one likes playing in the blazing sun, I decided to hold the games from 6:15-7ish. The game actually doesn't start until 6:30, but we use those 15 minutes to practice and divide up teams.
Which brings me to the logistics of it all. Most kids with special needs do not play city sports, and the reason for that is 1) lack of accommodations, 2) the stress of watching your child meltdown in the middle of a field for whatever reason while all players and their parents stare or judge, and 3) commitment. Sometimes, you just can't make it. It's just one of those days or there is too much going on. So this team makes playing baseball with special needs actually fun!
Whoever shows up that day, we divide into 2 teams. We don't keep score and we make sure everyone gets to bat each inning. The child can choose to use a tee or have someone pitch to them. They can choose to have a regular bat or a soft bat. They can choose to use a regular ball or a whiffle ball. They can meltdown in the middle of a field, make dirt angels, or sit and pick at grass without anyone judging them or their parents. If your kid is having a rough time, they can sit out, take a break, or just go home and no one will question why. I had parents sign up to do snacks each game, so afterwards there is a fun treat as well.
At the first game we had about 18 or 19 kids show up, which is AMAZING! I was so overwhelmed with absolute joy! I kept thinking, "It's working! People came!" There were kids from Cruise's class from last year, old classmates from Kindergarten, and new kids we've never met! It was fun to see the autism moms I've missed for years. We finally got a game going and it was joyously chaotic. That really is the only way to describe it. The kids were surprisingly engaged, they had huge smiles on their faces, the parents showed so much relief being able to watch their kid enjoy a sport and not have the worries they would normally have on a regular team. It made all the preparation and stress worth it. I had parents telling me their kids couldn't sleep the night before, they were so excited!
We've played 2 games thus far and it's been spectacular. It also gets the dads more involved. A lot of the time, since Dad is at work, Mom is the one to take their child to therapy, playdates, IEPs, etc., and so this has actually given the dads a little more involvement. They actually get really into it and take over the pitching, catching, and teaching of the sport. And since they're autism dads, they know how to go about it and don't have ridiculous expectations. It's just fun!
The best part about being just the organizer is that now, I get to stand at the sidelines and watch these kids have a blast. There is something so heavenly about watching these games. I feel so close to the Spirit and during that hour, it's as if nothing else exists. Just this baseball diamond, just these kids. And it's beautiful. I started out just wanting to give Cruise a chance to play baseball, and it resulted in 12 special needs kids having the time of their lives, doing something they otherwise wouldn't be able to do, all because of the small fact that they are different. They don't fit in baseball? Make baseball fit to them.










1 comment:
What a wonderful program! I have spent much of my adult life trying to overcome the competitive programming that was embedded in me throughout my youth. This is exactly what all sports should be...an opportunity to enjoy the activity. Without separating "winners" from "losers". Instead, it encourages participation, consideration, kindness and accommodation. Great job Emily!
- Dad
Post a Comment