Sunday, December 6, 2015

Cruise's EEG

On December 2nd, I took Cruise in for his EEG at the American Fork Hospital. Beforehand, he had to miss 4 hours of sleep and to not take his ADD meds. So that was fun. He stayed up til 11 the night before, so Dave and I hung out with him and played Angry Birds UNO. He was in heaven! We actually all had a lot of fun just hanging out with him and giggling. He finally went to bed and then I had to wake up at 5:00 to get him up. I actually had a hard time waking him. He must sleep pretty deep or something because I was pushing him and squeezing him and calling his name. It actually reminded me of that scene from What About Bob? Ha ha! Anyway, I ended up waking Dave up to pull Cruise off the top bunk because he just wasn't going to wake up. I walked with him downstairs and gave him a tablet, played one game of UNO with him, and then told him not to fall asleep as I headed back upstairs to...fall asleep. I then woke up at 6:30 to make and feed him breakfast because he wasn't allowed to eat past 7. So I made him eggs and hot cocoa. And then...I went back to bed. Until 8. Then I got the both of us ready and we headed out at 8:30.

We got to the hospital and he was really nervous. The night before, I had him watch a YouTube video about what happens at EEGs, so he wasn't as nervous as he could've been, but he still had a little anxiety. They called us back and the technician started hooking him up. It took a good while to measure his head with a red paint pen, then put on the glue, and then attach the wires. He watched TV while she did it.
Once that was done, she had him open and close his eyes a few times to get a baseline, then told him he could go to sleep. He didn't end up falling asleep, but he laid there with his eyes closed for about 20 minutes or so with the lights off as the technician and I stared at a screen of squiggles, peaks and valleys. Then after that, she had him keep his eyes closed as she did a few sets of strobe lights in his face, all at different speeds, and then had him do some deep breathing. And then he was finished! She started to clean up all the glue and stuff which he was not happy about. It didn't feel good for her to be scrubbing on his head. So when we got home, I washed his hair to get the rest of it out.

We should know the results hopefully early this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He really is a trooper! I sure love that kid.

- Dad