Sunday, July 2, 2017

Moving Mountains Soccer Camp

Cruise had the opportunity to attend the Moving Mountains Soccer Camp again in June. He had really enjoyed himself last year, so I thought I would sign him up again, especially since the cutoff age is 10. Well, he was not happy about me signing him up and actually refused to go the first day. I had texted my friend Laurie, who oversees the program, and told her what was going on and she responded with some ideas of how to convince him to come. I eventually gave up because he was very very sure he did not want to attend. That evening, I received a photo and message on my phone from his volunteer saying she had bought him some special, green, soccer socks and that she hoped he'd show up for the second and final day so she could give them to him. 
So, he decided to go the next day, but "only because I don't want her to feel bad." 

The next day, I rounded up the troops and we headed to UVU for the soccer camp. The organizers were so excited to see Cruise and his volunteer was really happy as well. Cruise continued to have a bad attitude about the whole thing, but eventually started having fun...until a girl licked his arm, then he wasn't having a good time anymore. 
There ended up being more volunteers than attendees, so Miles went off with about 5 or 6 teenage boys and played soccer. He loved all the attention. Jett watched a show on my phone and then started following Miles around and watched him play. 
The program is really amazing and I wish Cruise would've enjoyed it more this year, but luckily there are so many kids on the spectrum who have an opportunity to participate every summer.

No comments: