Here is my gift to Dave:
We technically won't be celebrating until next weekend, which will totally be worth the wait since we are going to SUNDANCE! Our Honeymooning place. Unfortunately the cabin/suite we always stay in is no longer available, but that's okay because it's gonna be awesome anyway.
But yesterday we did go out on a family outing that was very typical for our family:
We decided to take the boys up the canyon with our bikes and the bike trailer and ride around a bit. So once Cruise got home from school, Dave and I started to get everything ready for our family excursion. I got the food, diapering for Jett, and extra underwear & pants for Cruise. Dave got the trailer hitched up to the Jeep and tied in his bike and the bike trailer. We would have to stop by my parents' house to get a key to my sister's house to borrow her bike.
We got the boys in the car, having told them we were going to the mountains (this was total poor planning on my part. I didn't have pictures or had even a schedule set out for Cruise to prep him for our multiple stops). Cruise started having a meltdown the second we turned into my parents' neighborhood. I had to keep reassuring him that we were going to the mountains. Dave grabbed the key and we were off to get some gas and some bribery treats so the kids would stop whining.
We got to the gas station and I got Cruise out of his seat to come with me to choose a treat. Well, he got drawn to the Red Box machine in front and was adamant about getting the Superman cartoon movie. The things we do for peace and quiet. Dave rented it and handed it to Cruise (he just wanted to hold it). Then we went into the gas station where we stocked up on mini donuts.
In the car, I handed the boys each a donut and we were on our way to Provo to pickup my sister's bike.
We got as far as the Target down the street when Jett threw up all over himself and his car seat. We pulled into the parking lot of Target; Dave started on clean up duty while I ran into the store to buy anti-bacterial wipes and a change of clothes (if we went back home, we'd have a HUGE meltdown from Cruise on our hands and we were just not in the mood for that).
We finished cleaning up and luckily Cruise sat nicely in his seat clutching the Superman movie and stuffing his face with chocolate donuts. We had been gone an hour by now.
![]() |
| the new outfit |
FINALLY we got back into the car and headed for the mouth of the canyon. We had finally reached Canyon Glen and got the bikes all ready to go. The bike ride up to Bridal Veil was actually pleasant. Then...WATER. We didn't mind letting the boys play in the water, and luckily I had brought an extra pair of underwear and pants for Cruise (since he takes playing in water very seriously). We played for awhile and then gave the kids a 5 minute warning. Cruise then started to make a run for it and I had to chase him down, bringing him back protesting. I love the looks we get when in public. Ha ha!
I then proceeded to remove his pants and underwear to put on a the dry pair. Cruise then melted down and tears began to flow. Life as we know it, was ending. All he wanted to do was swim. Swim in FREEZING water. We are such terrible parents.
We strapped both boys back into the trailer, Cruise still screaming and crying. We drove our bikes back to Canyon Glen with the wailing of our poor deprived child still in the trailer. Once we got to Canyon Glen, we got Cruise to calm down by having him climb up these rock walls placed in the park. I set out the snacks and Jett did what he does best, run off looking for trouble. It turned out alright and we had fun, but like I said, this is a typical outing for us. I'm surprised we do these that often.
I love our imperfect marriage, our imperfect children, and our imperfect family: it's just PERFECT!
Happy 5 Years to Us!











3 comments:
You guys are doing an amazing job - some days are tough, but one day your kids will thank you for all your efforts and you'll have some great memories.
I love the video, you guys have always been so photogenic and good looking, it makes me sick. You'll get old and faded and flabby too, someday! And I love the recount of the antics; the only real difference between your life and mine is that I'm too tired to write about the madness at the end of the day. You're a step above me. Happy Anniversary.
You guys are great! Looks like fun! We wish we had bikes and a trailer to go do stuff like that. And Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment