Friday, August 7, 2015

Today You Are Eight

Dear Cruise,

I don't know when it happened, but I blinked and you became an 8 year old.

Cruise, where do I begin? I have spent the past week reminiscing and reflecting on the great blessing you have been to our family. I can't imagine my life without your boisterous, passionate, comical self.  You possess the energy of an entire football team and have more persistence than an army of ants. You have more passion for life than anyone I have ever known. I try, but I can never keep up with you! Every single day, without fail, you have big ideas and aspirations that have equally big expectations. As much as you hate not seeing your inventions complete and working, you never give up. And that, my dear son, is what makes you remarkable.

Cruise, you are curious, imaginative and creative. You want to know so much and yet retain so much information already in that amazing brain of yours. You always want to go on adventure and discover everything. You see things so differently than the rest of us and find beauty and meaning in some of the smallest, seemingly unremarkable things: a pebble, a weed, a piece of wire, broken sunglasses. You also fill your pockets with these things and with each load of laundry, I am reminded at just how differently you experience and see the world around you. And that is beautiful. You are beautiful.
All the things you struggle with are small in comparison to all the wonderful things you excel at. I love how friendly you are to everyone. You are so happy and forgiving. You always tell the truth and try so hard to follow the rules. You are witty and funny, and have such a great sense of humor. You love your brothers unconditionally, even when they really tick you off. You forgive me when I'm not having the best of days, you compliment me when I've done something so ordinary, and you let me kiss you goodnight.

This is a big birthday for you! You will soon be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which is a big decision for you to make. One that I know is the right decision, but it is yours to make and I am so proud of you. I know that your Heavenly Father sees you and knows your struggles. He knows that those Sunday clothes are really really uncomfortable and that it's so hard sitting for 3 hours every Sunday! But I know that He knows your heart and He knows how special and strong your spirit is, and I know that you are one of His favorites. Continue to make good choices, Cruise, and do those things that the Lord asks of you, even when they are hard or uncomfortable, and I know He will bless you ten-fold.

Cruise, my dear sweet boy, although it's hard to see you grow so fast, it is also incredibly exciting and gratifying. You make my heart so happy and I am filled with so much gratitude every day to be your mom. I love you more than you will ever know. Thank you for being such a wonderful son; I don't know what I did to deserve such a remarkable little boy, but I definitely think the Lord gave me more than I deserved.
Happy Birthday, Cruise! I love you forever.

Love,

Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful tribute to a terrific kid, from an SuperMom!

Dad