Cruise has been doing well on his medication. The only problem is if I forget a dose, he and the rest of us pay for it the next day or two as he gets very emotional. So we are usually really good at remembering. He has to take it twice a day, so it can get tricky if we go somewhere and forget his meds.
Attention-wise he is doing better. He has been a little more focused when it comes to things I need him to do and following directions. It's really nice.
Cruise invents every day. Whether or not it actually works how he wants it to is a another story, but he still tries, which I'm very happy about. I have to remind him that he's only seven and that he has many many years to invent things that will actually work and not be made out of paper. I go through so many paper cups every day because he uses them when he invents. But I'd rather have him using and destroying cups than other household items, so I don't complain about it anymore.This summer has been slightly heartbreaking for me. Cruise has given up trying to be social, and that is a problem. He has been shut down so much and he notices that he struggles getting along with others, that he just doesn't try anymore. Some days I tell Jett that he can't play unless Cruise can play with him and his friends just so I can get Cruise out and interacting with his peers. Some days are better than others. But I have to have conversations with Cruise to remind him why it's important to practice playing with friends. He still thinks it's stupid, but he humors me and tries.
The other day I had to bribe him with a cookie to get him to practice some social skills with me. We wanted him to practice talking to people and asking them questions about themselves rather than talking at people about Pokemon the whole time. So first Dave and I had a conversation and showed him how to do it. Then Cruise and I practiced. We had to prompt him or just tell him what to ask because he had a hard time thinking of questions that tied into the conversation we were having. It's going to take a lot of practice, but I can see him getting it one of these days. I kind of can empathize with him since I myself have trouble doing this, but practice is the best way to learn!
Cruise is excited about his birthday this week and especially excited about getting Pokemon presents! eBay is his favorite store right now. Ha ha! Unless I find something for him to do outside of the house, he won't leave. I am constantly wracking my brain trying to think of something he could do outside instead of sitting inside obsessing about his latest invention or watching Pokemon. I don't know what I'd do without Dave during the day. I am really grateful he is home a large portion of the day because we are able to go do things away from the house with the boys.
Overall, he's been his happy, passionate self most of the time. Can't believe he's going to be 8!







1 comment:
Cruise (like many extraordinary people) has such a unique character that only a few people can appreciate him. I am always pleased and amazed at this growth and development. You are doing the perfect job raising him. In the coming years you will be amazed at the wonderful man he grows up to be!
- Dad
Post a Comment